John Wainwright & Co. of Stoke St Michael have published a history of the company as part of its 125th anniversary celebrations. Written by Robin Thornes, it tells the story of this important local quarrying business from 1891 to the present day.
The Quarry Faces archive is going online, and over the next six months we will make available over 1,000 images on more than 80 sites across the Mendips. Browse or search site records and photographs of them. More sites and images will be added in the next few weeks, so keep coming back!
Quarry Faces: the Story of Mendip Stone is now available. The book tells the story of quarrying in the Mendips, with special emphasis on the area’s nationally important roadstone industry. It traces the history of that industry from 1865, when the first mechanically crushed stone left the Mendips by rail, to the present day. See full story for a list of outlets.