John Wainwright & Co. of Stoke St Michael have published a history of the company as part of its 125th anniversary celebrations. Written by Robin Thornes, it tells the story of this important local quarrying business from 1891 to the present day.
The Quarry Faces archive is going online, and over the next six months we will make available over 1,000 images on more than 80 sites across the Mendips. Browse or search site records and photographs of them. More sites and images will be added in the next few weeks, so keep coming back!
There was a good turn out for the celebration event to mark the end of the successful Quarry Faces community heritage project, held at the Somerset Earth Science Centre on May 15th. The event also saw the launch of the project’s history of quarrying in the Mendips.
Join the team on Sunday 12 October on a guided walk to look for the evidence and clues of the area's industrial past in Vallis Vale, now a peaceful valley but once a bustling and noisy industrial site.
Rock Faces is an outdoor event at Castle Hill Quarry, Nunney on Saturday 4 October. It is a chance to see photographs recording the history of quarrying in the Mendips, and is a special outdoor event of the Mendip Rocks! festival.