A Sentinel steam locomotive which once worked at Whatley Quarry is to be preserved at the Sandford Station Railway Heritage Centre.
The last steam locomotive to work at Whatley Quarry is to be preserved at the Sandford Station Railway Heritage Centre. The locomotivewas built by Sentinel and bought by Roads Reconstruction (1934) Ltd. for use at Whatley Quarry in 1948.
In November 1971 the loco was donated by the quarry's then owners, ARC, to Frome Town Council, and moved to the children’s playground at Welshmill. However, it was later considered a safety hazzard and removed to Tytherington Quarry in Gloucestershire.
In 2015 it was acquired, with help from Quarry Faces, by the Sandford Station Railway Heritage Centre, where it is to be put on static display following some restoration work at the Severn Valley Railway.