In 1930 the Halecombe Quarry was opened by the Leigh-on-Mendip Quarry Company on a field close to that company's existing Leigh Quarry. Halecombe soon became the business's main quarry, employing 43 of its 62 man workforce. The Leigh-on-Mendip Quarry Co. continued to grow in the early 1930s and by 1934 it was also operating Merehead Quarry in Cranmore. By then Leigh Quarry was inactive and the workforce at Halecombe had declined to 22, suggesting that the company was suffering from the effects of the recession that seriously affected in the industry in the early 1930s. The company’s fortunes continued to decline in the months that followed and by the end of 1935 it had gone out of business. In December 1935 the unexpired period of its 50 year lease of Halecombe Quarry, held since March 1930, together with the plant and goodwill, were advertised as being for sale by auction. At this time two plots of the land leased were sub-let to the Mendip Stone & Concrete Co.
By 1939 the quarry was being worked by the Halecombe Quarry Co., and in that year the night watchman at ther quarry (Frederick Maylott of "the Cottage", Stoney Lane, Chantry) was fined by Frome magistrates for taking a heavy lorry from the quarry without permission. In 1940 the quarry advertised for a driver for the quarries Dodge lorry, and to train in operating a Fordson loader. On 30 June 1948 the Halecombe Quarry Co. was granted an IDo (L.30) by Frome Rural District Council.
In the early 1960s the quarry is said to have been worked by the firm of Lavender & Bateman, but in 1967 it was acquired by Hobbs Quarries Ltd of Nailsea. Following the sale of Hobbs Quarries to housebuilder Wimpey after the death of Robert Hobbs in 1982 Halecombe was operated by a subsidiary of that company, Wimpey Hobb Ltd. In 1995 Tarmac and Wimpey announced an asset swap whereby Wimpey acquired all of Tarmac’s housing interests, in return for which Tarmac received Wimpey’s construction and minerals divisions. This resulted in the transfer of Halecombe Quarry to Tarmac, giving the company a new stake in the East Mendips only a few hundred metres from where it had acquired the small and short-lived Western (Padfields) Quarry almost half a century before.
The quarry is still worked by Tarmac and produces around 80 cubic meters of concrete, 1,200 tonnes of asphalt 2,500 tonnes of aggregate per day. Annual production of all stone products is typically between 500,000 to 700,000 tonnes per year with an annual maximum limit of 900,000 tonnes.
NGR: 370098 - 147415
Lat : 51.22513124
Long : -2.42960277