Stoke Lane Quarry was established in 1941 by Sam Treasure of Stoke St Michael. At first the quarry produced block stone for use in the construction of wartime airfields. After the war a crushing and screening plant was supplied and erected by Ralph Blatchford & Co. of Midsomer Norton, this including a second-hand 25 x 16 inch Pegson crusher and a Parker Kubit granulator.
In 1962 Sam offered to sell Stoke Lane Quarry Co. to John Wainwright & Co. Negotiations continued until October 1963 when Wainwright paid £9,000 for the business - £5,000 of which was for the quarry and the remaining £4,000 for its goodwill. It was to be run by Stoke Lane Quarry (1964) Ltd., which was incorporated on 13 May 1964 as a wholly subsidiary of Wainwright. In 1975 the crushing plant at Stoke Lane was used to crush Old Red Sandstone quarried at Moons Hill, but this was discontinued when a purpose built plant was erected at that quarry.Stoke Lane Quarry was closed in 1978. In March 1985 the quarry was sold to Graham Cullen, who worked it intermittently until production finally ceased in 1993.
NGR: 366700 - 147350
Lat : 51.2243639937
Long : -2.47823270184
- Vallis Limestone