George Coleman came from Frome and followed his father, Thomas, into roadstone quarrying. The List of Quarries for 1895 records that Coleman was running Combe Quarry at Nunney for the recently created Frome RDC with a workforce of only two men. By 1898 the quarry was no longer listed and seems to have been closed. In 1901 he was living in the Butts, Frome, and was described in the census of that year as “stone quarryman”. However, by 1907 he had moved to Nunney and was working Nunney Quarry, now known as Castle Hill Quarry (DD/QF/2/6), which had been dormant since Frome RDC gave it up in 1904. Coleman operated this quarry on a small scale until after World War I, employing two men in 1908, rising to only four by 1922. Soon after, the business began to expand rapidly. In 1923 a petrol lorry was acquired, and by 1925 the Coleman family were leasing Orchard Quarry and Top Quarry, both in nearby Holwell. Three years later in 1928 new plant was erected by Frederick Parker Ltd. of Leicester, this comprising a 16 x 9 inch “Monarch” jaw crusher, elevator, screen and bins. The latter were steel-framed and had wooden bin compartments for five sizes of stone.
In the mid-1930s Coleman's acquired nearby Hillier's Quarry (DD/QF/2/5), and at some point also took over Creese’s Quarry on the south side of the A361. The business was awarded IDOs for both for Castle Hill and Holwell quarries by Frome Rural District Council on 19 August 1947 (L.28 and L.33). In the 1950s the business acquired the freehold of all its Holwell Quarries when the Shore Estate was sold at auction. In 1965 the business was sold to English China Clays, which re-equipped the quarry. In 1994 the ownership of the quarry passed to Camas plc, and then to Aggregate Industries. In 2010 blasting ceased at Holwell, but the coating plant at the quarry continues to be used.
NGR: 372628 - 145088
Lat : 51.20433133
Long : -2.39319322