Highcroft Quarry was established by Henry Matthews c.1923. Matthews was born in East Horrington, near Wells, and was the son of an agricultural labourer. In 1901 he was living in Evercreech and working as an insurance agent, but by 1911 had moved to Ashwick and was describing himself as “road contractor”. He first appears in the List of Quarries in 1916, when he was employing six men in a small quarry in Gurney Slade opposite the village post office. Matthews was still operating this quarry in 1922, but by 1925 had opened Highcroft Quarry, where he employed 16 men.
By 1930 Highcroft was almost two acres in extent and had a crushing plant, screens and a tramway from the face. Matthews was successful in established his modest quarrying operation in an area already dominated by the much larger quarries of Read & Son, Dalleys and the Emborough Stone Co., and in 1928 it became a private limited company under the name of Henry Matthews & Son (Quarry Owners) Ltd.with a nominal capital of only £100 in one shilling shares. It was later taken over by Anglo American Asphalte (Sales) Ltd., and eventually Aggregate Industries. The quarry closed in the 1990s.
NGR: 361800 - 148600
Lat : 51.2352887116
Long : -2.54853569544
- Clifton Down Limestone