In 1884 there was a lime kiln on the site which came to be known as Hillier’s Quarry at Nunney. By the 1890s Frank Hillier of Cloford was landlord of the Bear Inn, Holwell, but also running a lime burning business in the quarry. In 1904 he was sued by a neighbour, James Pitman of Nunney Ctach, for taking stone from his quarry, which adjoined that of Hillier.
Following Frank’s death in 1913 his sons Lambert and Victor took over the running of the business, and by 1925 were employing eight men. Around that time they renamed their quarry the “Mendip Limestone Works” and produced a series of postcards to promote the business. One of these shows that the quarry’s crusher had a screen producing only two sizes of stone, both of which were being discharged into a single pile on the ground rather than into bins. The brothers clearly had plans to develop the business to take advantage of the growing demand for roadstone. Unfortunately, Lambert Hillier died in 1926, but his younger brother Victor continued to run the quarry with a handful of men until the mid-1930s, when it was acquired by the Coleman family.
NGR: 372900 - 145200
Lat : 51.2053611458
Long : -2.38929657673