Dulcote Quarry supplied stone for local roads in the 19th century, and by the late 19th century its owners, the Tudway family of Wells, were leasing it to road contractors. In 1895 Dulcote Hill was being worked by John Webb, who employed 15 men on the site. The yearly rent was £60, this including the first 7,000 tons extracted, after which a royalty of 2d a ton was payable. In 1898 the lease was surrendered, and Clement Charles Tudway offered a new one to John Wainwright of Shepton Mallet.
Wainwright jumped at the chance of developing a rail-linked quarry on the Great Western Railway system. Unfortunately, the GWR refused permission for a siding to be laid, on the grounds that the gradient was too steep on that section of line. After protracted negotiations, Wainwright gave up and decided not to develop the quarry, abandoning his plans to erect a mechanical crusher and asphalt plant. In 1919 Wainwright was still listed as operator of the quarry, but by 1921 it was being worked on behalf of Wells Rural District Council by a contractor.
In 1923 Tudway leased the quarry to Foster Yeoman, a former blast furnace manager from Teesside who had decided to become a quarry master and tarmacadam manufacturer. Foster also succeeded in persuading the GWR to allow a siding to be laid, and agreement being signed in March 1923. Use of the railway ceased in the 1950s, although it was resumed briefly in 1969.
In 1949 John Yeoman took over the management of the quarry following hios father's death. In the 1950s the quarry was redeveloped with new Kue Ken crushers, screen and bins. Dulcote Quarry was closed for a time in the 1970s, but re-opened in the 1980s. It finally closed in the 1990s and part of the site is now used as a recycling centre.
NGR: 356700 - 144200
Lat : 51.1953528801
Long : -2.62104789483